Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fall Lawn Care

The leaves are falling all over my lawn and covering the grass. I used to get out there and rake up all of those leaves, set them along the curb, and wait for the truck to come pick them up and haul them away to some dump.

Not anymore. As of 2007, I started pulling out my mower and grinding/mulching them into my lawn. Granted, later as more and more leaves fall, it becomes useless to try and chop them small enough to slip down between the blades of grass. So, for now I mulch. Later, I will still grind the leaves with my mower. Then I'll rake or blow those leaves into my Ivy and Myrtle beds. Some leaves will be used to protect sensitive plants over winter.

Point is this. If enough people start recycling those leaves on their properties, large dump trucks full of leaves may become obsolete. (I'm especially thinking about EGR where we have a loader following the dump truck around to pick up leaves.) Just think how much pollution those trucks and loaders are putting out. Cutting those out of the equation will be a step in the right direction.

Pollution that can be eliminated should be eliminated. I'm no radical, but I do believe that we are caretakers of the Earth. Let's do what we can to be good Stewards of Creation.

By the way, one more benefit: these leaves mulched into your lawn and gardens will decrease the amount of fertilizer necessary to keep them looking healthy.

No comments: